The 2015 collaborative Summer Reading Program – UNMASK!
What will you find behind your mask?
|What||How||Register||Events||CyberFun||Prizes||School Book Lists||Find a Book
What is it?
A summer reading program is a series of theme centered events, just for teens, combined with super easy reading requirements and some fab prizes. The 2015 theme is UNMASK!
You have summer reading assignments for school. Why not win cool prizes and get to participate in awesome activities just for doing them?
This program is for teens entering grades 7-12 (recent graduates welcome too). Entering 5th or 6th grade? Check out the great tween program.
How do I UNMASK! myself this summer?
- Register at the Newport Public Library (NPL) either in person at the Young Adult (YA) or Children’s Reference desks, or on-line. Registration begins Monday, June 30th and continues through August 11th.
- Read 6 books or 1200 pages and fill out a book review form between July 6 and August 13th.
- For every book you read or event you attend, you will receive 1 raffle ticket. Tickets can be used to enter one of three grand prize raffles.
- Complete a NPL book form for each book you read. You can print forms here or get them from the YA or Children’s Reference desks.
Forms can be turned in at the YA or Children’s Reference desks or submitted now.
For every book or 200 pages completed, you get one grab bag prize.
- Attend great activities to help you Unmask! new knowledge and talents – learn to draw comics, play with our 3D printer, watch movies, make your own superhero mask, and so much more!
- Participate in our CYBER EVENTS for the chance at more raffle tickets!
- Attend our awesome wrap-up party and hopefully win one of our grand prize raffles if you completed at least 6 books or 1200 pages!
Programs and Movies!
All programs and movies will take place in the Library’s Program Room unless otherwise noted: program times differ, so be sure to check the calendar. (Print your own Calendars for future reference.)
Supplies and light refreshments will be provided at all events by the library.
Not signed up for Summer Reading? Show up at our event, fill out your registration form, and now you are! For every event you attend, you will receive an additional raffle ticket for our grand prize drawings!
Monday, June 29th – Sign ups are now open!
Come to the YA (Young Adult) or Reference Desk to sign up or do it on-line.
You may register any time between now and August 8th.
Monday, July 6th @ 4 – Eric Fulford will teach you to create and draw your own comic book characters. He’ll walk you through step by step. No prior talent needed. Already great at drawing? Get some pointers!
Thursday, July 9th @ 3:30 – Come use our “maker” equipment – 3D printing and a vinyl cutter and heat press for DIY T-shirts and stickers. Come be creative or find what you want pre-made and print it. Librarians will be available for tutoring and, if you’re a pro, to be tutored.
Tuesday, July 14th @ 2- Make your own superhero mask! Everyone has a special talent and now you can highlight yours.
Thursday, July 16th @ 3:30 Captain American: Winter Soldier. Enjoy pizza, popcorn and an optional hands on project while cooling off in the library’s air conditioning. Take a break from the heat and find out what Steve Roger’s does after thawing out.
Monday, July 20 @ 4 – Try out our “green screen”, where you can take digital images of yourself and superimpose them on backgrounds of your superhero (or villain!) choice!
Thursday, July 23 @ 4 – Meet Ka Yan Kan … our super Henna artist! You can pick out your design and personalize it, then Ka Yan will give you a lasting Henna tattoo! While you wait, practice with real henna that she brings just for you! Registration is required, along with a permission form that was included in your sign-up packet!
Tuesday, July 28 @ 2 – Looking to learn some real superhero moves? Don’t miss our Karate demonstration, hosted by professionals from Portsmouth.
Thursday, July 30 @ 4 – Get ready for some serious cooking competition against your friends! Everyone will be given the same ingredients, and you have to make the best tasting dish. Ms. Colleen & Ms. Becky will be the judges, and the winner will receive a gift card to a local merchant. The ingredients are a surprise – you will see them when you show up!
Monday, August 3 @ 2 - Test your superhero and triva skills during a round or two of Jeopardy. This friendly little competition will result in some big prizes! Bring your friends and let’s see who wins!
Tuesday, August 11 @ 3:30 – Come use our “maker” equipment – 3D printing and a vinyl cutter and heat press for DIY T-shirts and stickers. Come be creative or find what you want pre-made and print it. Librarians will be available for tutoring and, if you’re a pro, to be tutored.
Thursday, August 13 @ 3:30 – Final Pizza Party and Grand Prize Drawings.
We’ve added these fun cyber events because we know many of you travel or work for the summer and we don’t want you to miss out on all of the fun!
Complete any or all of the following activities using the NPL website and you will receive one raffle ticket per activity for our grand prize drawings. Any activity completed more than once qualifies for multiple raffle tickets.
- Choose an activity related to the book you are reading and write about your experience (at least one paragraph).
- Rate an item (book, movie, audiobook, etc.) in the library catalog. (Honor system.)
- Write a short review (at least two paragraphs) of the book you are reading for our website.
- Comment or otherwise add to the library Facebook page or Twitter board (@NewportLib) or check us out on Instagram (nptya).
- Request an item through the library catalog. (Honor system.)
- Find 2 remade movies and their original versions in the library catalog. Submit results.
- Create a promotional video for Newport Public Library or the Teen Summer Reading Program. Videos must be rated G, PG, or PG-13. You will be awarded 5 raffle tickets per acceptable video. You will be awarded an additional 2 raffle tickets if we actually use your video. Submit video.
- Review your favorite, or least favorite, app.
- Grab Bag – for every book or 200 pages read, you get one grab from our treasure trove of prizes.
- Grand Prize Drawings – all teens who complete the program will be invited to the final party. We’ll have plentiful snacks, play great games and give away free stuff including books, Unmask! signature items and the following prizes:
GRAND PRIZE: A NEW KINDLE FIRE! –
$25 to Orange Leaf – – Must be present at Final Party to win
$25 to Via Via – Must be present at Final Party to win
PARENTS, don’t feel you are missing all of the fun. Join our adult reading program Literary Elements!
The statewide Rhode Island Summer Reading Program is supported by the RI Office of Library and Information Services with funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, Citizens Bank and Pepsi. Local support includes RI Children’s and Young Adult Librarians and our own Newport Gulls.