For databases that can be accessed remotely, you will need the 14 digit number on the back of your Newport Public Library issued library card.
= Accessible from home with your Newport Public Library issued library card.
Search records contaning more than 1.4 Billion names from around the world. Maintained by the New England Historical Genealogical Society. Available in Library only.
Provides an exhaustive, international database sponsored by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, searchable by name, geography and more. Create a free account to get the most out of this site. The Newport Public Library is now an affiliate of FamilySearch’s research and library system.
Provides access to original military records, including registration cards, pension files, and other records of service. Part of Ancestry.com’s collection of online resources. Available in Library only.
HERITAGE QUEST ONLINE
A genealogical tool offering primary resources, family histories, and finding aids. Includes 6 core data sets – US Federal Censuses, genealogical and local history books, Revolutionary War records, Freedman’s Bank Records, and the US Congressional Serial Set.
Provides a searchable database of Rhode Island fire insurance maps published by the Sanborn Map Company. Coverage for Newport includes maps from 1884, 1891, 1896, 1903, and 1921. Available in Library only.
- Vital Record of Rhode Island 1636-1850. Arnold, vols. 1-6.
- Rhode Island Vital Records, New Series. Beaman, vols. 1-12.
- Genealogies of Rhode Island Families. Roberts, vols. 1-2.
- Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island [Before 1680]. Austin.
- Newport City Directories
- Newport History: Bulletin of the Newport Historical Society
- Rhode Island History
- Rhode Island Roots
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register
- New England Ancestors
- Rhode Island State Archives
- Rhode Island Dept. of Health, Vital Records
- Rhode Island Historical Cemeteries – Searchable cemetery databases.
- Rhode Island Genealogy and History Project – Part of the USGen Web project, a non-commercial effort compiled by volunteers and committed to free access for everyone.
- Cities and Towns in Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Judiciary Archives
- Rhode Island Historical Society
- Rhode Island Genealogical Society
- Rhode Island Historical Records Repository
- American Ancestors – New England Historic Genealogical Society
- Rhode Island Jewish Historical Association
- American-French Genealogical Society