The 2013 collaborative summer reading program Beneath the Surface!
Dig deeper and find out what’s there!
|What||How||Register||Events||CyberFun||Prizes||Beneath the Surface Booklist||Find a Book
What is it?
A summer reading program is a weird name for what is basically a SERIES of RELATED programs just for teens combined with super easy reading requirements and some fab prizes.
Let’s face it, you have summer reading assignments for school, right? Why not win cool prizes and get to participate in awesome programs just for doing them?
This program is for teens in grades 7-12. For 5th and 6th graders, too old for the kids program but not quite ready for this, check out our great tween program.
How do I dig Beneath the Surface?
- Register at the Newport Public Library (NPL) either in person at the Young Adult (YA) or Reference desks, or on-line. Registration begins Monday, July 1st continues through August 12.
- Read at least 1000 pages, at your reading level, between July 2 and August 14.
- Complete an NPL book form for each book you read. Print forms are available here or from the YA or Reference desks. Forms can be turned in at the YA or Reference desks or submitted now. For every 100 pages you complete, you will receive 1 raffle ticket for our grand prize drawings. Therefore each participant will have at least 10 chance to win.
- Attend great activities to help you discover what’s beneath the surface!- watching movies in the air conditioned library, creating your own Egyptian cartouche necklace, play the bucket drums, go on a treasure hunt in the library and more!
- Participate in our, NEW this year, CYBER EVENTS.
- Attend our awesome wrap-up party and grand prize raffles if you complete the 1000 page minimum.
Programs and Movies!
All programs and movies will take place in the Library’s Program Room: programs will begin at 4pm unless otherwise noted. Movies will begin at 6pm. (Print your own Calendars for future reference.)
Supplies and light refreshments will be provided at all events by the library.
You must be a participating member (registered and reading as evidenced by book forms) of the summer reading program to attend activities and movies. For every event you attend, you will receive on raffle ticket for our grand prize drawings.
Thursday, July 11 – Join us for a kick-off celebration with Rythm Imaginarium - listen to and play the bucket drums!
Tuesday, July 15 – Join us for the first of three Beneath the Surface movies -go treasure hunting with The Goonies. Yes, it’s a flashback to the 80′s but that means you haven’t seen it yet. It was a hit then, and we think you’ll like it now too :-)
Thursday, July 18 – Go on a treasure hunt in the library. Ms. Becky and Ms. Colleen will write the clues, you decipher them and find the treasure.
Tuesday, July 23- Movie number 2 -Find out what’s Beneath the Surface of your yard - Journey to the Center of the Earth – with hottie Brandon Fraser and a cast of other entertaining characters.
July 29 – August 2 – Join us on FB, twitter or in the library for Under Earth Trivia with questions from book, movies, science, mythology and more. All trivia forms with 90% or more correct questions will be entered into a drawing for and ice cream gift certificate. So, come join the fun all week long!
Thursday, August 1 – Bring momentos of your favorite memories from high school or junior high or just last year and create your own personal time capsule.
Wednesday, August 7 – Our final movie explores what’s Beneath the Surface of the sea. Watch Jaws! Then head to the beach, if you dare.
Thursday, August 8 - If you’ve recovered from you encounter with the great white shark, join us for Shark BINGO, including prizes.
Thursday, August 15 - Final Pizza Party and Grand Prize Drawings.
We’ve added these fun new cyber events because we know many of you travel or work for the summer and we don’t want you to miss out on all of the fun!
Complete any or all of the following activities using the NPL website, and you will receive one raffle ticket per activity for our grand prize drawings. Any activity completed more than once qualifies for multiple raffle tickets.
- Choose an activity related to the book you are reading and write about your experience (at least one paragraph).
- Rate an item (book, movie, audiobook, etc.) in the library catalog. (Honor system.)
- Write a short review (at least two paragraphs) of the book you are reading for our website.
- Comment or otherwise add to the teen blog newportteentalk.blogspot.com or the library Facebook page or become a follower of @NewportLib on Twitter.
- Request an item through the library catalog. (Honor system.)
- Find 2 remade movies and their original versions in the library catalog. Submit results.
- Complete one Universal Class – a free on-line experimental college with classes in things like bread making and car repair. Certificate of Completion should be e-mailed to the Young Adult librarians
- Create a promotional video for Newport Public Library or the Teen Summer Reading Program. Videos must be rate G or PG-13. You will be awarded 5 raffle tickets per acceptable video. You will be awarded an additional 2 raffle tickets if we actually use your video. Submit video.
- Grab Bag – for every form submitted, you get one grab from our treasure trove of prizes buried deep within the YA sandbox.
- Grand Prize Drawings – all teens who complete the program will be invited to the final party. We’ll have plentiful snacks, play great games and give away free stuff including: books, Beneath the Surface! signature items and five grand prize gift certificates:
PARENTS, don’t feel you are missing all of the fun. Join our adult reading department to Groundbreaking Reads!
The statewide Rhode Island Summer Reading Program is supported by the RI Office of Library and Information Services with funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the Pawtucket Red Sox, Citizens Bank and Pepsi. Local support includes RI Children’s and Young Adult Librarians.