The 2014 collaborative Summer Reading Program Spark a Reaction is here!
What will make you spark?
|What||How||Register||Events||CyberFun||Prizes||Spark a Reaction Booklist||School Book Lists||Find a Book
What is it?
A summer reading program is the name for what is basically a SERIES of RELATED programs just for teens combined with super easy reading requirements and some fab prizes.
Let’s face it, you have summer reading assignments for school, right? Why not win cool prizes and get to participate in awesome programs just for doing them?
This program is for teens entering grades 7-12 (recent graduates welcome too). For 5th and 6th graders (too old for the kids program but not quite ready for this) check out our great tween program.
How do I Spark a Reaction?
- Register at the Newport Public Library (NPL) either in person at the Young Adult (YA) or Reference desks, or on-line. Registration begins Monday, June30th and continues through August 11th.
- Complete one BINGO on our new Bingo Sheet between July 1 and August 13th.
- For every Bingo square you complete, you will receive 3 raffle tickets for our grand prize drawings. Therefore each participant will have at least 15 chances to win.
- Complete a NPL book form for each book you read. You can print forms here or get them from the YA or Reference desks. Forms can be turned in at the YA or Reference desks or submitted now. Every form submitted will be an additional 3 raffle tickets for the grand prize drawings!
- Attend great activities to help you spark a reaction!- learn how to analyze forensics, take fingerprints, create Henna art, create melted crayon art, watch movies, take some machines apart, and so much more!
- Participate in our CYBER EVENTS for the chance at more raffle tickets!
- Attend our awesome wrap-up party and hopefully win one of our grand prize raffles if you completed at least one BINGO!
- All teens who complete at least one BINGO will receive a free ticket to see the Pawsox.
Programs and Movies!
All programs and movies will take place in the Library’s Program Room: program times differ, so be sure to check the calendar. (Print your own Calendars for future reference.)
Supplies and light refreshments will be provided at all events by the library.
Not signed up for Summer Reading? Show up at our event, fill out your registration Bingo sheet, and now you are! For every event you attend, you will receive a raffle ticket for our grand prize drawings (you can only participate in the drawings if you complete at least ONE BINGO on your card)!
Monday, June 30th – Sign ups are now available! Come to the YA (Young Adult) or Reference Desk to sign up. We will keep your Bingo sheet in a binder for you, so no reason to worry about losing it!
Monday, July 7 @ 5 – The Rhode Island Museum of Science & Art will be here to demonstrate some really cool experiments. Dive on in and join them for some hands-on fun!
Wednesday, July 9th @ 6 – Love CSI or Law & Order? Our own State Crime Lab will be here to teach you how to analyze evidence and take fingerprints. Hands-on!
Monday, July 14 @ 3- Movie number 1 - Ender’s Game. You loved the book, now check out the action on the big screen!
Thursday, July 17 @ 4 - Mythbusters – that’s right! Just like the TV show, we will have a bunch of different “myths” … and you have to do the work to see if they are possible or not!
Tuesday, July 22 @4 – Have you seen those crazy art boards on the internet of melted crayons making gorgeous art? Come try it out for yourself here at the library, and take home your creations once they are dry!
Thursday, July 24 @ 3 – Kathryn Kulpa, a local professional writer, will be here to run a creative writing workshop! Come ready with some of your writings and ideas!
Monday, July 28 @ 5 – Find out what can Spark a Reaction from every day objects. Come join us in taking apart common household items like a lawn mower, computer, radio and more. A release form is required. Safety goggles and gloves have been generously donated by Middletown Home Depot, store # 4287
Wednesday, July 30 @ 5:30 – Movie #2 explores what happens when robots start having their own thoughts. Watch iRobot and see what our future might possibly have in store!
Monday, August 4 @4 - Looking for something low key and creative? Our professional Henna artist will be here, giving everyone free Henna tattoos, showing you how to create your own, and everyone gets a free sample of ink to try it at home! A release form is required.
Thursday, August 7 @4 -Movie #3 takes you back to the beginning. Find out where Tony Stark got his philanthropic drive and what prompted him to build the very first Iron Man.
Tuesday, August 12 @ 4 – Did you know you can paint with a pendulum? Yes, a pendulum. Come try it out!
Thursday, August 14 @ 3 – Final Pizza Party and Grand Prize Drawings.
We’ve added these fun cyber events because we know many of you travel or work for the summer and we don’t want you to miss out on all of the fun!
Complete any or all of the following activities using the NPL website and you will receive one raffle ticket per activity for our grand prize drawings. Any activity completed more than once qualifies for multiple raffle tickets.
- Choose an activity related to the book you are reading and write about your experience (at least one paragraph).
- Rate an item (book, movie, audiobook, etc.) in the library catalog. (Honor system.)
- Write a short review (at least two paragraphs) of the book you are reading for our website.
- Comment or otherwise add to the library Facebook page or Twitter board (@NewportLib) or follow us on Pinterest (Teens @ Newport Public Library)
- Request an item through the library catalog. (Honor system.)
- Find 2 remade movies and their original versions in the library catalog. Submit results.
- Create a promotional video for Newport Public Library or the Teen Summer Reading Program. Videos must be rated G, PG, or PG-13. You will be awarded 5 raffle tickets per acceptable video. You will be awarded an additional 2 raffle tickets if we actually use your video. Submit video.
- Review your favorite, or least favorite, app.
- Grab Bag – for every square completed, you get one grab from our treasure trove of prizes.
- Grand Prize Drawings – all teens who complete the program will be invited to the final party. We’ll have plentiful snacks, play great games and give away free stuff including books, Spark a Reaction! signature items and the following prizes:
- One free ticket to see the Pawsox.
PARENTS, don’t feel you are missing all of the fun. Join our adult reading program Literary Elements!
The statewide Rhode Island Summer Reading Program is supported by the RI Office of Library and Information Services with funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the Pawtucket Red Sox, Citizens Bank and Pepsi. Local support includes RI Children’s and Young Adult Librarians.