How to Fizz, Boom, Read!:
- Register for the program at the library, over the phone, or online
- Read 6 books during the summer
- Report the titles of the books in a reading log at the library or online
Who Can participate in summer reading?
- Preschool children to children entering grade 6 in September. Children who are not independent readers may complete the program by having someone read aloud to them and record in their log for them
When Will Summer Reading Take Place?
- Fizz, Boom, Read! from June 30th – August 13th
- Children who COMPLETE the reading program will receive a personalized certificate, a free book, 1 free ticket to a PawSox game, a Fizz, Boom Read! pencil and a Fizz, Boom, Read! doorknob hanger.
- Children who attend library events and record their reading will be entered to win grand prizes! Winners will be revealed at the outdoor fair on August 13th.
- Children who participate in the summer reading program receive a wallet card good for free or discount admission to many local and state attractions. Receive your wallet card upon logging your first book.
- Children will also receive individual coupons to the Roger Williams Park Zoo, the Breakers Family Audio Tour, and Old Colony & Newport Railway. The individual coupons will be awarded for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th books logged in your reading log. One coupon per summer reader. For more information, visit the Children’s Desk.
The Short Program
Going on vacation?
Enrolled in an all-day summer program?
Having summer visitors for a short time?
In addition to the regular 7-week program, the Newport Public Library also offers a Short-Term Program that is fast and easy to complete!
Children completing the Short-Term Program need to:
- Register for the Short Program at the library or over the phone (401-847-8720 ext. 204)
- Read at least 2 books
- Record the titles of the books in a reading log
- Complete a weekly activity page (available at the Children’s Desk beginning June 30th)
Children who complete the Short-Term Program receive:
- A personalized certificate
- A toy prize
NOTE: Children completing the Short-Term Program are NOT eligible to win grand prizes and do not receive a free book.