There’s an app for that.
Learn how to download library eBooks to your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Android smartphone using the Overdrive Media Console app. You’ll need your device in hand, and a connection to the internet. Below are the basic steps to help you get started, or you can download a step-by-step guide with screenshots. Remember to Ask a Librarian if you get stuck.
- Visit your device’s App Store and search for “Overdrive.” Download and install the free Overdrive Media Console app for your device.
- Once installation is complete, run the Overdrive app. The first time you run the app, it will prompt you to authorize your device with an Adobe ID. An Adobe ID connects your library account to your library of eBooks on this and any other device authorized with the same ID. Just click “get an Adobe ID online” and complete the form. Once you have the ID, authorize your device in Overdrive by filling in your Adobe ID and password.
- On the main screen of the Overdrive app, select the “+Get Books” button. Then, “Add a Library” by searching for your zip code and selecting Newport Public Library. The final “library” you choose will be Ocean State Libraries, which is the state-wide network through which we share books.
- The app will jump you to the mobile E-Zone website, where you can browse and download ebooks (and audiobooks as well). Since most eBooks can be used by only one use at a time, you may need to select “Place a Hold” and type in your email address to be added to the waiting list for certain titles.
- Once you find an available book to check out, select “Add to Cart” and then “Proceed to Checkout.” You will be prompted to choose your home library and sign in with your 14-digit barcode. From the checkout screen, you may choose how long you would like to borrow the item (from one to three weeks). Next, select “Confirm Checkout.”
- Finally, just push “Download” and the eBook will be transferred to your internet-connected device. Select the title/cover from the Overdrive app’s bookshelf, and you’re ready to read. Enjoy!