Newport Public Library Maker Lab and Equipment Use Policy & Procedure Guide
The Newport Public Library maintains a Maker Lab for public use. Available equipment includes but is not limited to:
- 3-D printers
- 3-D Scanner
- Vinyl cutter
- Heat press
- Macintosh and Windows computers
A full list of the current Maker Lab equipment can be found on our Maker Lab page.
- Use of the Maker Lab equipment is at the discretion of library staff. The Newport Public Library reserves the right to deny use of the equipment.
- Currently, there is no charge for use. The Library reserves the right to initiate charges to offset cost of materials as necessary.
- Job requests may only be made by Ocean State Libraries card holders in good standing.
- Job requests must be for personal use only – commercial use of the equipment is prohibited.
- It is expressly prohibited:
- To create any object that is intended to physically harm, or attempt to harm, a person or animal in any way.
- To create obscene or inappropriate materials.
- To create any object that violates or infringes upon a patent, trademark, or other proprietary right. Use of Library equipment shall follow all legal guidelines. U.S. Copyright Law governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
- The Library does not guarantee a successful project. Failed projects may be attempted two more times.
- Please allow a 2-week turnaround time for job requests.
- Items that are not picked up after one month will become property of the Newport Public Library.
- Maker Lab equipment can only be operated under the supervision of designated library staff.
- The Library is not responsible for the subsequent safety of any item made with Maker Lab equipment.
Project Request Procedures
- Patrons must provide output ready files; Library staff are available for processing assistance only.
- Patrons must complete a job request form online or the form may be completed in hard copy and dropped off with the file on a USB flash drive.
- The Library reserves the right to schedule only one print per week per person or organization.
- The Library reserves the right to review all files before printing.
- The Library reserves the right to modify procedures as necessary.
3D Specific Procedures
- Files must be in a compatible file format. Check with library staff for compatible formats.
- The Library’s 3-D printer uses only PLA filament at this time.
- Filament colors are limited to Library stock.
- Files must be no larger than 25 MB.
- We cannot accommodate print jobs taking more than 5 hours.
Vinyl Cutter Specific Procedures
- Files must be provided in a compatible file format. Check with library staff for compatible formats.
- Design creation software has been loaded on some Library computers available for public use.
- Sticker vinyl and iron-on vinyl colors are limited to Library stock.
Approved by the Newport Public Library Board of Trustees May 2016