The Newport Public Library (“Library”) maintains a Maker Lab for public use. Maker labs are spaces set aside in the Library for self-directed exploration of past, current, and emerging technologies. Available equipment includes:
• 3-D printers
• 3-D Scanner
• Vinyl cutter
• Heat press
• Macintosh and Windows computers
• Sewing machine and Serger
• Record player for vinyl albums with recording capabilities
Guidelines for Use
• Use of the Maker Lab equipment is arranged with the coordination of Library staff. The Library cannot guarantee that access to the Maker Lab will be granted on demand. It is best to make an appointment with the Reference staff by calling 401-847-8720, x208.
• Generally there is no charge for use. The Library reserves the right to initiate charges to offset cost of materials as necessary.
• Job requests may only be made by Ocean State Libraries card holders in good standing.
• Job requests are for personal use only—commercial use of the equipment is prohibited.
• It is expressly prohibited:
o To create any object that is intended to physically harm, or attempt to harm, a person or an animal in any way.
o To create obscene or inappropriate materials.
o To create any object that violates or infringes upon a patent, trademark, or other proprietary right. Use of Library equipment shall follow all legal guidelines. U.S. Copyright Law governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
• The Library does not guarantee a successful project. Failed projects may be attempted two more times.
• Please allow two weeks for job requests to be filled.
• Items that are not picked up after one month will be discarded.
• Maker equipment can only be operated under the supervision of designated Library staff.
• The Library is not responsible for the subsequent safety of any item made with Library Maker Lab equipment.
Project Request Procedures
• Patrons must provide output ready files; Library staff are available for processing assistance only.
• Patrons must complete a job request form online for files emailed to email@example.com; patrons may also fill out the form at the Library and dropped off with the file on a USB flash drive.
• The Library reserves the right to schedule only one print per week per person or entity.
• The Library reserves the right to review all files before printing.
• The Library reserves the right to modify procedures as necessary.
3D Specific Procedures
• Files must be a compatible file format. Check with Library staff for compatible formats.
• The Library’s 3-D printer uses only PLA filament at this time.
• Filament colors are limited to Library stock.
• Files must be no larger than 25 MB.
• We cannot accommodate print jobs that require more than 5 hours.
Sewing Machine and Serger
• The sewing machine and serger are machines that use sharp needles under electronic operation. Patrons wishing to use the machine(s) must have skill in manipulating and operating the machines.
• The sewing machine and serger are available for patrons to use by appointment. Please call 401-847-8720, x208.
• The machines are for independent users over the age of 15. Users who are under 16 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult who understands the operation of the machines.
• The sewing machine and serger are for use by patrons working under their own initiative. Library staff is not able to help with technique, skill, instruction, or advice. The Library offers seasonal classes in sewing.
Vinyl Cutter Specific Procedures
• Files must be provided in compatible file format. Check with Library staff for compatible formats.
• Design creation software has been loaded on some Library computers available for public use.
• Sticker vinyl and iron-on vinyl colors are limited to Library stock.
Users of vinyl albums can book the Library’s turntable either for personal enjoyment or to transfer the recording onto a CD for personal use.