Any Ocean State Library cardholder may borrow materials from the Newport Public Library at no cost.
Newport Public Library patrons may request items that the library does not own, or items that are currently not on the shelf, from in-state public libraries via the OSL online catalog.
- Patrons may also request materials from college and university libraries in RI. Contact a reference librarian to submit your request.
- Availability of these items is dependent on the owning library’s policies.
- There is no charge for this service, but regular fees for late or lost materials do apply. Renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library.
Patrons may also request items from other institutions in Rhode Island, such as the Rhode Island Historical Society or the Providence Athenaeum, as well as from libraries outside the state. Newport Public Library cardholders may submit requests for these materials by contacting the reference desk (401-847-8720, x208).
Newport Public Library is a member of the Ocean State Libraries (OSL) consortium and the Library of Rhode Island (LORI). Our interlibrary loan policies and procedures are implemented in accordance with OSL and LORI lending rules.
2. For types of materials and formats of materials loaned to OSL by Newport Public Library, see this chart.
3. Newport Public Library lends certain items to non-OSL libraries via OCLC’s WorldShare service. Federal and state documents, as well as microfilm, genealogical, and reference materials, are not included. A/V materials (DVDs, CDs, audioBooks) are loaned at the discretion of the staff.