The Newport Public Library (“Library”) is an organization based on sharing. This policy is designed to make the materials purchased for use by the entire community available for loan on an equal basis.
A patron must be an Ocean State Libraries (OSL) cardholder in good standing to borrow materials from the Newport Public Library.
Most materials borrowed from the Newport Public Library may be returned to any Rhode Island public library. There are exceptions, including museum passes and Binge Boxes, and non-OSL interlibrary loan materials, as they must be returned to the Circulation Desk of the Library. All items that must be returned to the Newport Public Library Circulation Desk will be labeled as such. The Library has 3 book drops (including one for drive-up returns) that are available for our patrons’ convenience. These are open at all times.
Loan Periods and Overdue Fines
Loan periods and overdue fines are determined by the size of the collection and the demand for each particular type of item. There will be no charge for borrowing materials for the indicated time period. The maximum fine for any item is the price of the item.
Most library materials go out for 3 weeks (21 days), may be renewed, may be reserved, and cost 10¢ per day per item when overdue. These materials include:
• Children’s and young adult magazines
• Audiobooks on CDs, Playaways and MP3 CDs
• Playaway Views
• Music CDs
• Children’s kits (book + audio)
Adult magazines circulate for 7 days only. They accept holds and cost 10¢ per day per item when overdue. Magazine loans cannot be renewed.
Star Books circulate for 21 days, but will not accept holds or renewals. Fines are 10¢ per day when overdue.
Binge Boxes are limited to 1 unit per library card; they circulate for 21 days with no holds or renewals and cost $2.00 per day in overdue fines.
DVDs and Blu-Rays are limited to ten (10) titles per library card. Adult feature films (DVD and Blu-Ray) and nonfiction DVDs circulate for 7 days, allow holds and renewals, and cost $1.00 per day as well.
Star DVDs and Blu-Rays circulate for 7 days, allow no holds or renewals, and cost $1.00 per day for overdue fines.
Adult TV series and all Children’s DVDs circulate for 21 days, allow holds and renewals, and cost $1.00 per day for overdue fines.
Items will automatically renew twice after checkout if there are no other holds on the item. Items with holds are non-renewable.
You may renew your materials in person at the library, online at catalog.oslri.net/patroninfo,or by calling the Circulation Desk at 401-847-8720 x201.
Placing a Hold
Library patrons may request items (place a hold) that the library does not own or items that are currently not on the shelf in person at the library, from the online catalog, or by calling the library at 401-847-8720 x208.
Available materials include titles belonging to all Rhode Island public libraries. Availability of these items is dependent on the owning library’s policies.
There is no charge for this service, but regular fees for late or lost materials do apply. Renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library.
Items not found in the OSL catalog can be requested from other academic institutions in Rhode Island or from libraries outside the state. Newport Public Library cardholders may submit requests for these materials by contacting the Reference Desk (401-847-8720 x208).
Please see our Interlibrary Loan policy for a detailed description of these services.
Courtesy notices are generated 2 days before the item is due. This notice is sent by email, phone or Text/SMS.
• The first overdue notice will be sent 7 days past the due date.
• The second overdue notice 7 days after the first overdue notice.
• A bill for the price of the item will be sent 30 days after the second overdue notice.
Paying Fines Online
The Pay Online button can be found by going to the OSL Catalog and clicking on the “Login to your Account” link. Once you enter your username or library card number and PIN, you will have access to several options, including “Pay Online.” Click here for more information on paying fines online.
• Reference books, Newport Room materials, newspapers and microforms and “Pop-Up” Children’s books do not circulate.
• Any reasonable number of books or periodicals may be checked out by adults or children, but the library reserves the right to limit the number of titles on any subject, if demand warrants the limitation.
• There is a limit of ten (10) DVDs or Blu-rays per card.
• Binge Boxes are limited to 1 per card.
Lost or Damaged Materials
• Charges will be assessed for items lost or damaged while checked out to a borrower. These charges are based on the replacement cost of the particular item.
• The Library does not accept physical replacements in lieu of fines for lost or damaged material.
• Refunds of replacement charges will be made if the lost item is returned within sixty (60) days of payment, and upon presentation of the receipt issued at the time payment was made.
Loss of Borrowing Privileges
• The library reserves the right to revoke borrowing privileges of any patron owing fines of more than $5.00 or more, or who has an outstanding bill for non-returned materials.