The Newport Public Library is committed to serving our community with innovative and effective programs and services for all ages – babies to seniors. As a private, 501(C)(3) organization, whose annual budget cannot be met in full through the support from City and State, we depend on your generosity to continue to grow and serve our community.
The Annual Appeal
Our yearly Annual Appeal runs from November through January. This year we are devoting a portion of all fundraising activities towards renovating the youth and children’s areas of the library. Check out the Children’s Room renovations that have already been partially completed. And there’s still more to come!
President of the Library’s Board of Trustees, Michael Dawson, wrote a heartfelt letter to the community asking for support. You can read that letter here.
Won’t you please consider a tax-deductible gift to the Newport Public Library. You may donate to the library at any time
- By check – made payable to the Newport Public Library and mailed to the library at 300 Spring Street, Newport RI 02840
- Online – simply click on the yellow Donate Button at the top (and bottom) of this page.
The Perfect Gift Program
Celebrate a special occasion, honor someone you love, or remember a loved one through The Perfect Gift program. Twenty-five dollars will place a Book Plate in a new book, remembering or honoring a person special to you. That person (or that person’s family) will receive a card, acknowledging your gift. Simply contact the Administration Office (401-847-8720, Ext 100) and let us know.
Friends of the Library
Join the Friends of the Library, shop at the Friends Book Store, volunteer to work there, or donate materials to be sold.
1. Isn’t the Newport Public Library a department of the city?
It sounds like it is, but it is not. The library is established as a 501(C)(3) organization. This means that it is a separate, not-for-profit organization governed by its own Board of Trustees, who represent a cross section of the community, and who volunteer their time and expertise. The Newport City Council has a representative on the Board.
2. Does the City of Newport give any money to the library?
Absolutely. The City of Newport and the State of Rhode Island both support the library’s annual budget. On average the city provides 77% and the state 17% of the library’s annual budget.
The library itself raises from 5-8% of its annual budget, through various fund-raising endeavors such as our Annual Appeal in the Fall and The Event – a summertime fund-raising affair. This is coupled with monies collected through fines, interest income, memorial donations, our Perfect Gift Program, and some major gifts from Friends of the Library.
3. Why donate to the Newport Public Library?
With its mission of “life-long learning for the entire community” the Newport Public Library is one facility that truly serves the entire community.
- The library offers a myriad of children’s programs, many of which insure that pre-schoolers will enter school with the skills needed to read and learn.
- School children of all grade levels have access to resources, both in the library and online, that will help them complete school assignments.
- Adults have access to print, non-print and online resources that will keep them informed, encourage and support learning, and entertain.
- Community members and organizations have access to meeting rooms and other resources that support community endeavors.
- All of this takes place in a safe, clean and comfortable environment.