Literacy Blooms at A Novel Evening
Sunday, August 16, 2015 from 6:00 – 8:30 p.m.
William J. Corcoran, Honorary Chairman
Join us for this gala annual fundraising event. Reservations, at $75.00 per person, may be made by calling the Administration Office at 401-847-8720, Ext. 100.
The gala event will take place outside, under a tent, where Honorary Chair Bill Corcoran will greet guests.
- Enjoy appetizers by Pranzi Catering,
- complimentary wine or beer,
- a silent auction of unique and original items,
- live music with jazz saxophonist Chase Ceglie and keyboardist Devon Mello.
The Perfect Gift
The Newport Public Library’s Perfect Gift Program is an easy and meaningful way to recognize someone special in your life, while supporting the important work of the library.
- Celebrate a birthday or anniversary
- Be a unique gift
- Remember a loved one.
To participate, please call (401-847-8720, Ext 100) or email (email@example.com) the Administration Office for details.
Join the Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Newport Library are a very active group that runs our used book store, holds many book sales throughout the year, and is responsible for many funds raised in support of the library’s mission.
The Annual Appeal
Each November, the Newport Public Library conducts an Annual Appeal, asking for support from the community it services.
1. Isn’t the Newport Public Library a department of the city?
It sounds like it is, but it is not. The library is established as a 501(C)(3) organization. This means that it is a separate, not-for-profit organization governed by its own Board of Trustees, who represent a cross section of the community, and who volunteer their time and expertise. The Newport City Council has a representative on the Board.
2. Does the City of Newport give any money to the library?
Absolutely. The City of Newport and the State of Rhode Island both support the library’s annual budget. On average the city provides 77% and the state 17% of the library’s annual budget.
The library itself raises from 5-8% of its annual budget, through various fund-raising endeavors such as our Annual Appeal in the Fall and The Event – a summertime fund-raising affair. This is coupled with monies collected through fines, interest income, memorial donations, our Perfect Gift Program, and some major gifts from Friends of the Library.
3. Why donate to the Newport Public Library?
With its mission of “life-long learning for the entire community” the Newport Public Library is one facility that truly serves the entire community.
- The library offers a myriad of children’s programs, many of which insure that pre-schoolers will enter school with the skills needed to read and learn.
- School children of all grade levels have access to resources, both in the library and online, that will help them complete school assignments.
- Adults have access to print, non-print and online resources that will keep them informed, encourage and support learning, and entertain.
- Community members and organizations have access to meeting rooms and other resources that support community endeavors.
- All of this takes place in a safe, clean and comfortable environment.
Won’t you please consider a tax-deductible gift to the Newport Public Library. You may donate to the library
- By check – made payable to the Newport Public Library and mailed to the library at 300 Spring Street, Newport RI 02840
- Online – simply click on the orange “Donate” button at the top (and bottom) of this page.